Black and white photographs (2) of Fairview Fruit Farm in Queenston, belonging to Charles Matthew Lowrey [Lowery]. Views of field and orchards; there is even a sign "Fairview Fruit Farm" on the roof of the barn and some railway track (in foreground).
Matthew Charles Lowrey bought 42 acres of Niagara Township lot 4 in 1888 and established a successful fruit growing operation known as Fairview Fruit Farm on this land. Fruit farming became profitable in the 1880s, largely because railways had opened up new markets and tax records show that his 12 acre orchard in 1891 grew to 42 acres in 1899.
After the death of Charles M.(1931) and his second wife (1933), his three daughters formed a short-lived partnership to operate Fairview Farm (1935-1938). Luella, one of the daughters and her husband, Thomas H. Clifford then ran the business until 1969.
This lot, near the southern boundary of the village, west of King St., (now Niagara Parkway) and north of York Rd., was part of Township lot 4. It is historically important as part of the Queenston Heights battlefield and close to the place where Brock fell. Early owners of the land include Samuel Street Sr., the sons of Lt. Col John Butler, David Secord and Adam Brown.