Masonic Hall in Niagara-on-the-Lake - The Lodge Room
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Several photographs of interior of the Lodge Room, located on upper floor of the Masonic hall in Niagara-on-the-Lake. A rectangular room with seating around the perimeter, oriented east to west (path of the sun) so after entering you're symbolically facing "the East". In the centre of the room there is an altar with the Bible, surrounded by "three candles" (light bulbs) to illuminate the holy book. A letter G suspended over the altar symbolizes God.
There is a specific seating arrangement: the Master's chair is in the east, on a raised platform of three steps, the Senior Warden's chair is in the west on a platform of two steps, and the Junior Warden's Chair is on one step, in the south. The steps symbolize three stages in life: youth, manhood, and old age. There are two tall pillars with globes on either side of the Senior Warden.
PHOTOGRAPHS in this collection:
General view of interior (1)
General view of interior (2)
North wall with framed photos of Past Masters
East wall with Master's chair
East wall with Master's chair and Secretary's desk
South wall with Junior Warden's chair
West wall with Senior Warden's chair and pillars
The bulbs around the altar
Illuminated light bulbs
Wall hangings on the wall in the East: several framed photographs of the District Deputy Grand Masters of Niagara District 'A' elected from Niagara Lodge No. 2; the historic warrants of St. John's Lodge of Friendship No. 2, Queenston, dated 1795, and the Grand Master's Lodge, Newark [Niagara], dated 1796; a framed photograph of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada is above the Master's Chair (and above all other hangings).
More framed, individual photographs of the Past Masters hang over the Secretary's Desk as well as a tablet commemorating 150 years of service of the brethren of Niagara District, and the framed regalia of past District Deputy Grand Master from Niagara Lodge No. 2.
The framed photographic record of the Past Masters of Niagara Lodge, No. 2 are located on both, north and south walls.
Three flags (Canadian, British and American) in stone pedestals are situated on the steps leading to the Master's Chair.
- "A 1791 District of Nassau Land Board meeting at Niagara resolved to "authorize a public house" on the corner lot at the east end of the town ...and a Mason's lodge on the next lot to it. This was Lot 33 at the northwest corner of King and Prideaux Streets.
The original Freemason's Hall was ready for Simcoe's first Legislature of Upper Canada in 1792. It also served as a church, court of justice, public meeting place and ball room. The original building was torched by the retreating American Army, December 10, 1813.
The building on 153 King Street was begun in 1816 but not by the Freemasons. It has been used as a private school, dancing academy, a boarding house, a store, Miller's Tavern and in the 1830-1840's a soldiers' barracks. From 1860 on, Niagara Lodge No.2 rented the upper rooms finally regaining the original site and building by purchase on February 27, 1877."
Written by Past Worshipful Master Lieutenant Colonel Bernard L. Nehring.
- Many of the details in a lodge room are patterned after aspects of King Solomon's Temple.
- Date of Publication:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original:
- Colin K. Duquemin Masonic Museum
Niagara Lodge #2 A.F. & A.M., G.R.C.
153 King Street, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
The Museum was named after Bro. Colin Duquemin for his work in preserving masonic past.
It is home to many artifacts from Niagara district, including regalia, books, certificates,
and masonic documents.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0