Unveiling of a plaque "The Niagara Library"
- Niagara Advance (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada), 24 Nov 1977
- Petrovici, Boris, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Newspaper photograph of president of the Ontario Library Association, chief librarian of NOTL Public Library and the government officials during a ceremony of unveiling a plaque "The Niagara Library", commemorating the province's first circulating library.
"Deputy premier Robert Welch and M.P. Bill Andres examine a book containing the history of the Niagara Library following the unveiling of a plaque marking the site of Ontario's oldest library. The plaque erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation and the Ministry of Culture and Recreation is admired by Andrew Gregorovich, president of the Ontario Library Association and Gerda Molson, chief librarian. The unveiling was held in the court house last Saturday as part of the 75th anniversary conference of the Ontario Library Association."
- Date of Publication:
- 24 Nov 1977
- Date Of Event:
- 19 Nov 1977
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
- Full Text
The Unveiling of an HISTORICAL PLAQUE
Commemorating the NIAGARA LIBRARY
Saturday, November 19, 1977 12:30 PM
Court House, Niagara-on-the-Lake
Sponsored by the Ontario Library Association"
On June 8th, 1800, the Niagara Library, the first circulating library in Upper Canada, was established "to diffuse knowledge" among area subscribers. Financed by this group, library services were begun in 1801 with some 80 works for circulation, many on religion and history. Under the management of Andrew Heron, a merchant, the collection was steadily enlarged, and in 1805 the books of the Niagara Agricultural Society were added. The library operated successfully until the occupation of Newark (Niagara) by American forces in 1813, when numerous volumes were lost. By 1818 financial support for the library had seriously declined, and in 1820 the holdings were incorporated in a new subscription library, begun two years earlier by Heron, then a publisher and book-seller.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation
Ministry of Culture and Recreation"
President, Ontario Library Association
Lord Mayor, Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake
Minister of Culture and Recreation, and M.P.P. for Brock Riding
WILLIAM ANDRES, M.P.
Member for Lincoln, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Multiculturalism
Prof. WILLIAM ORMSBY
Ontario Heritage Foundation Representative
MRS. GERDA MOLSON
Chief Librarian, Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
ROBERT WELCH, Q.C., M.P.P.
Light refreshments will follow the formal programme