We found 32 matching items.
Subject: Historic buildings
1980, A form on Laura Secord School for Canadian Inventory of Historic Building completed by Jean Huggins, a former teacher at this school. It consists of 4 pages, a photograph of the school, a negative and two sketches of floor plan (hand-drawn by Mrs. J. Huggins).
Black and white photo size: 13.8cm x...
Mullin Carolyn, Home built by first St. Davids settler, "Home built by first St. Davids settler," Niagara-on-the-Lake Review Weekly ( Thomson Newspaper Company Limited), 19 Apr 1994 Full title: "Home built by first St. Davids settler. Current owners are restoring portions of Woodruff-Rigby home". Article written by Carolyn Mullin ("Niagara Falls Review" writer) and published by "Niagara-on-the-Lake Weekly", a community newspaper.
Photograph of the house interior with a...
Mullin Carolyn, Woodruffs at home. Niagara-on-the-Lake family revives personal history
, "Woodruffs at home. Niagara-on-the-Lake family revives personal history
," Niagara Falls Review (Niagara Falls, Ontario. Canada), 2 May 1994 Article about Woodbourne house written by Carolyn Mullin and published by Niagara Falls Review, a community newspaper. Woodbourne house is one of several Woodruff houses in the village of St. Davids (Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake). The original Georgian wing of the house was built in 1839 by William...
28 Oct 1973, Queenston address given by Mrs. A. E. Huggins at the unveiling of the historic plague commemorating the founding of Queenston, October 28, 1973.
Booklet: 20 pages; size:13.7cm x 21.4cm
Full title: Riverview Hotel Property In Queenston For The Farmerettes. Will be operated for duration by Ontario Farm Service; Expect 120 girls and staff there.
Farmerettes- young women who came from all across Canada to Niagara area to help local farmers with harvest during World War II.
Petrie, Francis, Queenston oozes with historical intrigue, "Queenston oozes with historical intrigue," Niagara Falls Evening Review (Niagara Falls, Ontario. Canada), 24 Jan 1970 Article about Queenston history, particularly Laura Secord house. A handwritten correction by Jean Huggins under a photo:
"Wrong caption. This is the Laura Secord house (possibly 1920s prior to L-shaped verandah by Frank Shepp.)
Phelps, Frances, Fishermen named Niagara public house 'Whale Inn', "Fishermen named Niagara public house 'Whale Inn'," St. Catharines Standard (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada), 22 May 1957 Article with a photograph of ""Whale Inn" occupied by Elliott family 100 years" The property is located at 66 King Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
1908, Black and white photograph of two-storey building, partially covered with ivy, with the signs of Queenston Hotel/Restaurant and the Imperial Bank of Canada on the lower level. Possible year: 1908 Reverse:
"Supposedly used as a barracks during and before the War of 1812 has housed a store,...
Sepia tone postcard of Laura Ingersoll Secord house in Queenston, with the National Flag of Canada on a pole in front of the house. A photo taken after 1972- a house was restored to its original 1813 condition in 1972. Reverse:
"The house restored to the period 1803-35 from which Laura Secord...
1910, Sepia tone postcard of two-storey, white clapboard house, surrended by trees and a simple fence. "Historical VII. Modernized residence of Laura Secord, heroine of War 1812-14, Queenston, Ontario. Leaving this house she tramped 20 miles through the woods to warn the British troops of the approach...
1986, Black and white group photograph with Lieutenant Governor of Ontario Lincoln Alexander in the middle. The group is posing in front of former Queenston Baptist Church. Lincoln MacCauley Alexander was Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1985 until 1991.
Plaque (attached to building)reads:
Black and white photograph of a large limestone building with mature trees and stone wall around, taken from the nearby road.
Currently: Mackenzie Printery & Newspaper Museum. Address: 1 Queenston Street, Queenston, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario In 1936, The Niagara Parks Commission undertook the...
19 Apr 1947, Black and white photograph of two-storey, gable roof house with a verandah and a balcony. There is a plenty of space around with big trees and shrubs and low border hedge in the front of the house, separating it from a street. Reverse:
"The home of Laura Ingersoll Secord, now owned by Mrs. Frank...
6 Oct 1974, Black and white photograph taken during a ceremony of unveiling a historical plaque.
From left to right: Canon Richardson, Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh Text on a plaque reads:
"THE QUEENSTON BAPTIST CHURCH
By 1808 the Rev. Elkanah Holmes, a missionary from the United States, had organized the first...
Oct 1945, Full title:
"Niagara Preserved and Restored. A Brief for the Realization of the Historical, Architectural and Cultural Values of the Town of Niagara in Ontario.
J. LLOYD HUGHES, Chairman.
GERALD NOXON, Secretary
Historical Section of the Niagara Post War Planning Commission
1923, Black and white photograph of two-storey, brick school building with bell tower on top. The doorway features massive double columns on both sides and arched doors. There is an artillery piece (cannon) on the grassy front yard. Laura Secord Memorial School in Queenston was built and funded in part...
6 Oct 1974, Black and white photograph of local politicians and historians during a ceremony of unveiling a historical plaque.
From left to right: R.A. Dickson, Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh; Hon. Robert Welch, Ontario Government; J. M. Huggins; Jacob Froese, Lord Mayor of Niagara-on-the-Lake; Dr Paul Cornell,...
1929, Black and white photograph of children (Ruth and Betty Huggins, Joan Bright among them) sitting in hand cart. There is an old brick house in the background. Reverse:
handwritten names of "Ruth and Betty Huggins, Joan Bright"
1954, Black and white photograph of two-storey house with verandah, surrounded by mature trees. It is located on a corner lot of a gravel road, where there is also a stone marker with her name.
Black and white photograph of two-storey, gable roof house with verandah, surrounded by mature trees and shrubbery on both sides.