St. Mark's Anglican Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake


Records
We found 41 matching items.
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
St. Mark's Persons of Hopeful Piety 
 
TextsImages  2000,   Full Title: "St. Mark's Persons of Hopeful Piety. Anglican Church - Niagara on the Lake, 1790 - 2000." Book about history of St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake from its beginning in the late 18th century to the year 2000. 192 p.: ill.; size:18cm x 25cm
The Reverend E. F. Wilson and his family at Shingwauk mission 
Images    Sepia coloured photograph of the Rev. Edward Francis Wilson, his wife and ten children, posing outside the fenced building. He was a missionary among the Indians and a principal of residential school at Garden River, near Sault Ste. Marie, between 1872 and 1893. The picture is attached to a...
Beatrice from Shingwauk Home 
Images  Christmas, 1923,   Sepia coloured photograph of a young girl with short hair, carrying a teddy bear. She is standing in front of grand two-storey stone building, probably Wawanosh Home for Girls at the Shingwauk (St. Mary's River). She was one of the protégés of St. Mark's Church. Reverse: "Beatrice...
Our Forest Children 
TextsPublication  August, 1887,   Our forest children. Vol. 1, No. 6 (Aug. 1887): Shingwauk Home, 4 pages. It was published monthly between 1888-1890 by Shingwauk Home, Sault Ste Marie, Ont. and edited by the Rev. E. F. Wilson. The Rev. Edward Francis Wilson was a missionary among the Indians (Shingwauk mission)and a principal of...
Portrait of George Bruce 
Images    Black and white portrait photograph of the Reverend G. Bruce attached to a cardboard frame with a signature of photographer: "Campbell. 300 Main St. Winnipeg, Manitoba". George Bruce was a Native clergyman at Fairford mission, Manitoba. In 1868 Rev George BRUCE was ordained and in 1869 he was put...
Portrait of two young girls from Shingwauk mission 
Images    Black and white photograph of two young girls wearing elegant dark dresses with white lace collars and white belts. The picture is attached to a beige cardboard frame with a stamp of photographer: "G. N. Bartlett Sault St. Marie, Ontario" Probably taken in 1920s. Reverse: "???"
The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary) departing Niagara on the Lake 1901 
Images  1901,   Black and white photograph of royal couple during a visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake. They are walking on the wooden platform towards a train and the crowd is cheering on an opposite side of the street. Picture was taken on King Street.
Portrait of a young Indian boy from Shingwauk Mission 
Images    Black and white photograph on a sheet of iron metal shows a young boy in school uniform, with one hand resting on a wooden fence and another holding a hat. The Rev. Edward Francis Wilson was a missionary and a principal of residential school at Shingwauk, near Sault Ste. Marie, between 1872 and...
St. Mark's Ladies Parish Guild 
Images  1922,   Black and white photograph of dressed up women, sitting or standing in three rows, with two girls in the front row. The picture was taken in St. Mark's Parish hall. The photograph is attached to a grey coloured cardboard frame with some names handwritten around the photo and on the back. Please...
Interior of St. Mark's Anglican Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake 
Images    Colour photo card of the church's interior with the sanctuary in the centre. Reverse: "ST. MARK'S ANGLICAN (EPISCOPAL) CHURCH NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, ONTARIO, CANADA FOUNDED IN 1792 THE OLDEST CHURCH BUILDING IN THE AREA A Co-operative Venture By: Fuji Photo Film Canada Ltd. Heritage Images,...
Rector's Chair & Bishop's Chair from St. Mark's sanctuary 
Images    Colour photo postcard with description on the back: "Rector's Chair -- Coat of Arms Diocese of Niagara founded May 1st, 1875. The Needlepoint created by Ladies of the church depicts Niagara Vegetables, 1967. Bishop's Chair -- Coat of Arms Diocese of Quebec -- St. Mark's Church 1804-1875....
Church of England, Niagara-on-the-Lake circa 1902 
Images  1902,   Sepia coloured photograph of St. Mark's Anglican Church showing a front of the church building with a square tower and four spires. Two women in Victorian skirts and blouses are standing near church entrance. There is a stamp of a photo studio on the back of this picture: "Galbraith Photo...
Shingwauk Home with its family 
Images    Sepia coloured photograph of Indian boys and girls, standing on the ground, the stairs and the ladders, taken outside of a big stone building. The Rev. Edward Francis Wilson was a missionary among the Indians (Shingwauk mission) and a principal of residential school at Garden River, near Sault...
Julia Waundee, 13 years old pupil of the Wawanosh Home 
Images    Sepia coloured photograph of a young girl in a school uniform standing beside a chair. There is a two-storey stone building in the background, probably new Wawanosh Home for Girls which opened at the Shingwauk (St. Mary's River) in 1879. "To accommodate girls, a separate residential school...
Indian boys and girls from Sault St. Marie Homes for Indian children 
Images    Sepia coloured photograph of Indian boys and girls, together with the Rev. Edward Francis Wilson (in the middle) taken inside Royal Photo Studio in Ottawa. Description reads: "Indian boys and girls from Sault St. Marie Homes for Indian children, shewing specimens of their work. /Royal Studio,...
St. Mark's Sunday School in 1920s 
ImagesHas Mystery?    Black and white photograph of four women and eight young boys standing outside of St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Reverse: "St. Mark's Sunday School 1920's back -l to r Mrs. Connolly, unknown, Mrs. Redhead, Mrs. [?]"
St. Mark's Church ca. 1890 
Images    Painting of St. Mark's Church in Niagara about 1890 by Canadian landscape artist George Robert Bruenech. Watercolour on paper, earth tones: browns, tans, greens and greys; artist's signature on the right side. "George Robert Bruenech, a watercolor painter, died in Toronto, Canada, July 22, at the...
St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake 
Images    Black and white winter photograph of St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake, showing the cemetery, part of church building and the main gate. Reverse: "Pre 1964 Note urn on Crysler monument Demray-N.F"
St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake 
Images  Aug 10, 1973,   Black and white photograph of St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake shows a church building with crenelated tower almost completely covered by vines. Picture taken from the sidewalk of Byron Street, near a main entrance gate.
Addison Hall at St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake 
Images    Two photographs: colour and black/white (small: 5.2 cm x 6.5 cm) of Addison Hall, taken before renovation in 1966. "Addison Hall sometimes referred to as the Sunday Schoolhouse, because of its tower and bell, was erected in 1886. The hall was remodelled and expanded in 1966. The original side...
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Comment on this item

Google Earth Google Earth [help]
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
1870s 1870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s 1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s 1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s 1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s 1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s 1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s 1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s 1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s 1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s 1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s 1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s 1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
1990s 1990199119921993199419951996199719981999
2000s 2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
2010s 2010201120122013201420152016201720182019
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Item Types
Features
Groups
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










St. Mark's Anglican Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake


St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake is the oldest Anglican community in the Diocese of Niagara, established by Rev. Robert Addison in 1792. He brought with him from England a silver chalice and a library of more than 1,500 books, the oldest library west of Quebec, which today are located in Addison Hall at St. Mark's. The church completed by 1808, was damaged by fire during the War of 1812, was subsequently restored and finally consecrated in 1828. The churchyard was the only cemetery in the town until the 1830’s so the earliest headstones bear some significant names in early Canada history.