Official Site Opening Fire Hall & Library, October 28, 2000
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A program of the Fire Hall & Library Opening detailing the planned activities and events of the day.
Official Site Opening
Fire Hall & Library
Saturday, October 28, 2000
Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake
Welcome and thank you for joining the Lord Mayor and Members of Council in a day of celebration.
12:00 P.M. Welcome to the Site
12:30 P.M. Master of Ceremonies Alderman Terry Flynn
Lord Mayor Art Viola
March on the Colour Party
Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 124
Piped in by Lionel Tupman
Bart Maves, M.P.P.
Niagara Regional Chair
Official Unveiling of Site Plaque
by Lord Mayor Art Viola and
Prayer by Rev. Doug Aikman
Presentation of Keys by
Chamberlain Architectural Services,
March off the Colour Party
1:00 - 4:00 P.M. Guided Tours of Fire Hall and Library
Live Dixieland Band
for your enjoyment
Free Hot Dogs and Cold Drinks
Face Painting and
Freddie the Clown
2:00 - 2:30 P.M. Puppet Show and Sparky the Robot Dog
2:30 - 3:00 P.M. High Angle Rescue Team Demonstration
3:00 - 3:30 P.M. Sprinkler Trailer Demonstration
3:30 - 4:00 P.M. Auto Extrication Demonstration
The new fire hall and library are constructed on land once known as the Butler Tract. Following the American Revolution, this land lying just west of the Garrison Line was settled by Colonel John Butler and his remaining family.
Colonel Butler formed Butler's Rangers in 1777. His loyalty to the Crown resulted in the incarceration of his wife, Catherine, and their young children - Thomas, Andrew, Johnson and Deborah - by the Americans during the war. His eldest son, Walter, who had distinguished himself as a fierce and wily fighter throughout the conflict, was killed in 1781, a few weeks before the end of the conflict.
When Colonel Butler died in 1796, he left approximately 500 acres to be divided among his three surviving sons. Johnson and Andrew each received 100 acres. Thomas, the eldest, received 300 acres south of what is now Niagara Stone Road. It is on this property that the fire hall and library are now located.
Andrew died in 1804. His brothers Johnson and Thomas died in 1812. Both men served in the 4th Lincoln Militia during the War of 1812 - 1814 and rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Their tragic deaths from disease were noted by Captain William Hamilton Merritt.
The Butler Tract was the site of considerable action during the War of 1812 - 1814, and the houses and barns of both Thomas and Johnson Butler were destroyed when the Americans retreated in December 1813.
Butler's descendants continued to own portions of the Butler Tract until the mid 1850's. In 1854, another distinguished citizen of Niagara, Samuel Zimmerman, acquired approximately 190 acres of the Tract.
Zimmerman, a railway entrepreneur, purchased the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company in 1853. After his tragic death in the 1857 Desjardins Canal Railroad disaster in Hamilton, the portion of the Butler Tract he had purchased was sold by his estate.
- Date of Original:
- October 28, 2000
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0