THE COMMERCE AND TRANSPORTATION BUILDING
BAY and FRONT STREETS, TORONTO
Toronto's most modern building and the only one of its kind in Canada is now in operation and its activities are in full swing. The major portion of the building is already rented and new tenants are moving in rapidly.
This building was financed by "Canada's Oldest Bond House"—G. A. Stimson & Co. Limited, who, through their executive and branch offices, distributed the securities all over Canada.
The plan of financing adopted by G. A. Stimson & Co. Limited, which introduced the idea that investors in building enterprises should share in the profits as well as receive a definite rate of interest, called forth criticism from many competitors who went to great lengths to prevent the successful financing and erection of the building. In this they were supported by parties Interested in the importation of building materials of U. S. manufacture, as the sponsors of the Commerce and Transportation Building made a point of insisting upon the use of Canadian manufactured building material. While the combined attacks of these allied interests, aided from time to time by publications receiving their advertising, added to the difficulties of financing and erecting this beautiful monument to Canadian enterprise, they failed in their purpose as may be seen from the above illustrations.
Excavation commenced Jan. 12, 1928, and building proceeded steadily forward to its completion.
The steam shovel began its work of excavation on January 12th, 1928.
This illustration shows the early concrete work on March 10th, 1928.
Concrete work proceeded steadily upward as shown above. April l0th, 1928.
In July the work had continued up to the 6th floor. At this time the stone and brick work was pretty well advanced
The building in August last year had proceeded on the schedule time.
October 1st, 1928. the stone and brick work was almost completed. Heavier interior installations were also in place at this time.