Grail: An Ecumenical Journal, 1985-1998
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Printing plates
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
GRAIL: AN ECUMENICAL JOURNAL was sponsored and launched by the University of St. Jerome's College. Published quarterly, the first issue of GRAIL appeared in March, 1985. Inspired by Vatican II, GRAIL was a Canadian contemporary, ecumenical, and multi-disciplinary journal whose goal was to explore relevant issues of concern to the socially-conscious and religiously-minded, to investigate the human condition in light of modern scholarship, and to encourage ecumenical understanding.
GRAIL was incorporated on May 9, 1985 as a non-profit independent entity under the name University of St. Jerome's College Press. The journal was administered by an Editorial Board comprised of St. Jerome's faculty and staff assisted by a group of editorial consultants.
The March/June issue in 1994 was to be the 10th anniversary issue as well as the final publication of GRAIL due to falling circulation, declining revenues and a lack of personnel. However, in December, 1993, Novalis/St. Paul University was approached to consider taking over the publication of GRAIL. A partnership was formed and under the new arrangement all editorial responsibility remained at the University of St. Jerome's College for the first year. Thereafter editorial direction was provided by 2 co-editors, one from St. Jerome's and one from Novalis/St. Paul. Each university provided 2 editorial consultants and an advisory board consisting of past consultants with some new additions. Transfer of ownership to Novalis/St. Paul University was effective June 17, 1994. Novalis/St. Paul assumed full legal responsibility for editorial content, full financial responsibility for the operation and management of GRAIL and full administrative responsibility. Grail ceased publication with the December, 1998 issue.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
This sub-group is comprised of the administrative records of GRAIL: AN ECUMENICAL JOURNAL and one copy of each issue of the journal from 1985 to 1998. The administrative records include material regarding incorporation, the Editorial Board, the editorial consultants, general correspondence, Novalis/St. Paul University, publicity, subscriptions, submissions to the journal, and artwork. There are also audio cassettes of persons interviewed for the Journal.
The records are arranged in 10 series:
1) Published issues;
2) Incorporation/Ownership records;
3) Grail Editorial Board;
4) Grail editorial consultants;
6) General Correspondence;
9) Artwork and design;
10) Grail: Awards
Series level descriptions are available.
- No further accruals are expected.
There are duplicate copies of most issues on Bookshelf.
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 44 cm. of textual records; 47 audio cassettes; 13 design boards; 24 drawings; 23 typeset plates
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
Bay 3, Bottom shelf in brown oversize folder.
- By permission of Librarian or Archives staff.
Some records are restricted.
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.