Office of the Vice-President Academic and Dean: Peter Naus, 1981-1987
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Forms (Documents)
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY:
Peter Naus was appointed Academic Dean and Vice-President of the University of St. Jerome's College from 1981 to 1987. At that time the Academic Dean was appointed to a four-year term with the possibility of reappointment for a further two-year term. Quite a few new initiatives were undertaken during Prof. Naus'term of office. A new Act of Incorporation received royal assent in 1986. The new Act included a re-structuring of the organization of the College as well as membership to the Board of Governors. A new financial agreement with the University of Waterloo was signed with an added and most significant element called"equity levels". An Academic Development Fund was established to assist faculty in academic research and development as well as a Discretionary Fund to provide financial assistance for faculty to employ a teaching or research assistant. The St. Jerome's Alumni Association was formed in 1984 and subsequently was re-named the Graduates'Association in 1986. Also in 1986 the Father Norm Choate Distinguished Alumni Award was inaugurated. GRAIL: AN ECUMENICAL JOURNAL, which was published quarterly by St. Jerome's, debuted its first issue in 1985.
The new Summer Institute for Studies in Theologicval Renewal began in 1982; a Performing Arts Series organized two seasons of theatrical productions, films, concerts, and storytelling; St. Jerome's began to offer courses during Spring term, correspondence courses, off-campus Summer Institute courses, and a new, innovative Interdisciplinary Course (Arts 310B) for upper level students. During this period St. Jerome's managed to maintain a moderate rise in applications and enrolments even though the University of Waterloo tightened its admissions standards.
These years also saw the computerization of the campus. St. Jerome's was equipped with a new computer lab, began offering courses in computer science, established on-line scheduling and accounting systems, and computerized the library circulation system. On another front which illustrates the times, an ad hoc committee was struck with the mandate to look into the issue of affirmation action, specifically an equitable male-female ratio within the teaching faculty. This initiative led to the revision of sexist language in all College publications.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS:
This series comprises the general administrative records of the Academic Dean's Office at the University of St. Jerome's College during Peter Naus'term as Academic Dean and Vice-President. The records include correspondence, financial information, statistics, reports, forms, and policies.
The records are arranged alphabetically by subject in files as follows:
Academic Development Fund;
Administrative and Committee Appointments;
Anniversary Open House (1982);
Correspondence Courses and Program;
Dean of Arts (University of Waterloo);
Dean's Search Committee;
Endowment Fund for Research;
Enrolment Patterns Report: 1976-1981;
Financial Agreements with the University of Waterloo;
Interdisciplinary Courses (Proposed);
Merit Pay; Personnel;
Scholarships and Bursaries;
- Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication:
- Corporate Name(s):
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Physical Description:
- 27 cm. of textual records
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original:
- By permission of the Office of the Vice-President Academic and Dean.
St. Jerome's University Library
Agency street/mail address
290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.