President's Office, 1947-2012
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Forms (Documents)
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
The President of St. Jerome's University is the chief executor of the University and has supervision over the direction of the academic work and general administration of the University, the faculty, the staff, and the students, and has such other powers and duties as may be conferred upon him or her by the Board of Governors. The President is also the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
When St. Jerome's was established in 1865 there was a Board of Directors who were all members of the Congregation of the Resurrection who staffed and administered the College. They elected the administrative officers for the College from among themselves, including the office of the President who held office during "the pleasure of the said Board." By 1959 the President was still to be a member of the Congregation of the Resurrection but was appointed by the Superior of the Congregation in Ontario. By the late 1980's there had been many changes to the Act of Incorporation and By-laws of St. Jerome's so that the configuration of the Board of Governors and the procedure for appointing the President and Vice-Chancellor was quite different. These changes included the allowance for the President to be a lay person appointed by the Board of Governors on the recommendation of an ad hoc Presidential Search Committee.
The term of office is for five years with the possibility of re-appointment for an additional term of up to five years.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
This subgroup is comprised of the general administrative records relating to the overall operation of St. Jerome's University which emanate from the Office of the President. The records include official documents and forms, correspondence, memoranda, agendas and minutes of meetings, reports, policies, procedures, and various other materials.
The records are arranged in series by President:
1) Cornelius L. Siegfried, C.R., 1960-1965; 1972-1979;
2) John R. Finn, C.R., 1965-1972;
3) Norman L. Choate, C.R., 1979-1989;
4) Douglas Letson, 1989-1999;
5) Michael W. Higgins, 1999-2006;
6) David Perrin, 2007-2012;
Series descriptions are available.
- Arrangement: The records for each President are arranged by subject.
Accruals: Further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication:
- Corporate Name(s):
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Physical Description:
- 2.21 m. of textual records;
1 painting: reproduction poster;
2 audio cassettes
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original:
- 2-1-2-A39; 2-1-2-A40; 2-2-2-A49; 2-1-4-C18; 2-2-4-C19; 2-2-4-C20; 2-2-4-C21; 2-2-4-C22; 2-2-4-C23; 2-2-4-C28;Top shelf; Audio-Visual shelf
- By permission of the President's Office.
St. Jerome's University Library
Agency street/mail address
290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.