Douglas R. Letson papers, 1975-2017
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
Douglas R. Letson was born on November 8, 1939 in Kitchener, Ontario. He graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English (1962), followed by a Master of Arts degree in English from McMaster University (1966), culminating in a Ph.D. in English, Philosophy and Paleography from the University of Toronto (1971).
Dr. Letson's academic career began at Westgate Collegiate in Thunder Bay, Ontario (1962-1963) after which he taught at Hill Park Secondary School in Hamilton, Ontario (1963-1965). In 1967 he started teaching English at St. Jerome's University in Waterloo, Ontario, initially as a Lecturer, then ending his career there as a Full Professor of English in 2005 when he retired. During his career at St. Jerome's, Dr. Letson served as the Chair of the Department of English (1971-1975), as Assistant Dean (1973-1975), as Vice-President and Dean (1975-1981 and 1987-1989), and as Acting President (1979). He was appointed President of the University in 1989 and served two terms until 1999. In addition to these administrative positions at St. Jerome's, Dr. Letson also designed, developed, directed and participated in the offering of courses in the Institute for Studies in Theological Renewal (1982-1987), served as Acting Director of the St. Jerome's Centre for Catholic Experience (2002-2003), and was a founding editor and Chair of the Editorial Board of"Grail: An Ecumenical Journal"(1984-1987). He remained on its editorial board (1987-1994) and served as its Associate Editor (1994-1998).
Dr. Letson has authored or edited seven major books, many, many journal and newspaper articles, over 30 published interviews and numerous reviews. He has read conference papers and given a list of community talks, guest lectures and public addresses.
Among his many awards are an Ontario Graduate Fellowship (1965/1966 and 1966/1967), a Canada Council Fellowship (1968/1969 and 1969/1970), the Distinguished Teacher Award at the University of Waterloo (1981), a 125th Anniversary Confederation Medal, the D.R. Letson Community Service Award at St. Jerome's University named in his honour, a Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal, the Walter Bean Award from the Kitchener-Waterloo Community Foundation, a Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, from the University of Waterloo (2005), and the Mission Legacy Award from the St. Joseph's Health System (2010).
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This subgroup is comprised of the personal papers of Douglas R. Letson who was a professor of English at St. Jerome's University. During his career here he was also Chair of the Department of English, Assistant Dean, Vice-President and Dean, and President of the University. He also developed the Institute for Studies in Theological Renewal, served as Acting Director of the St. Jerome's Centre for Catholic Experience and was a founding editor of"Grail: An Ecumenical Journal". These personal papers mainly reflect his authorship of several major books, newspaper, and journal articles.
This subgroup is arranged in 5 series:
1) Curriculum Vitae;
2) Publications: Books;
3) Publications: Newspaper Articles;
4) Publications: Journal Articles;
5) Associations and Awards.
Descriptions for these series are available.
- The dates are not inclusive: there are records for 1975-2010 and then for 2013-2014; 2017
- Date of Publication:
- Personal Name(s):
- Letson, Douglas R.
- Corporate Name(s):
- St.Jerome's University
- St. Jerome's College records
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Physical Description:
- 27 cm. of textual records; 163 audio cassettes
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original:
- 2-1-3-B31; 2-1-3-B32; 2-2-2-Audio 1-5
- Some content on the audio cassettes is confidential.
By permission of the Librarian.
St. Jerome's University Library
Agency street/mail address
290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.