Rev. John R. Finn, C.R. papers, 1995
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
Rev. John R. Finn, C.R. was appointed to the Faculty of French at St. Jerome's in 1959 as an assistant professor; he was promoted to full professor in 1968. He earned a B.A. from the University of Western Ontario in 1940, spent a year at the Ontario College of Education in Toronto where he received his teaching certificate, earned an M.A. in Romance Languages from the University of Toronto in 1955, and his Ph.D. in Medieval French from the University of Illinois in 1959. Fr. Finn was ordained to the priesthood in 1943 as a member of the Congregation of the Resurrection.
He served as a teacher and principal at St. Jerome's High School, and taught at both the Cathedral Boys' High School in Hamilton and at Brantford Catholic High School.
During his career at St. Jerome's Fr. Finn served as the Dean from 1961 to 1965, as President from 1965 to 1972, and was instrumental in moving the College from south Kitchener to its present location in 1962. He returned to teaching French until he retired in 1986. In 1991 a reunion was organized by the St. Jerome's Graduates' Association to honour his career and at that same time a scholarship for excellence in French was established in his name. In 1993, (also the 50th anniversary of his priesthood), the men's residence at St. Jerome's was re-named the J.R. Finn Men's Residence in his honour.
Fr. Finn edited The Resurrection Bulletin (1977-1981), served as Superior of Resurrection Manor (1989), and was the Archivist for the Ontario-Kentucky Province of the Congregation of the Resurrection until his death in 1995.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
The records for Fr. John Finn, C.R. are comprised of two newspaper articles on his death and career.
- Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication:
- Personal Name(s):
- Rev. John R. Finn, C.R.
- Corporate Name(s):
- St. Jerome's University
- St. Jerome's College records
- Geographic Coverage:
- Physical Description:
- <1 cm. of textual records
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Location of Original:
- By permission of the Librarian.
St. Jerome's University Library
Agency street/mail address
290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.