Richard Gwyn papers, 2002-2007
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
Richard Gwyn served as the Chancellor of St. Jerome's University from 2002 to 2007. He was born in England and educated at Stonyhurst College and The Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst. He emigrated to Canada in 1954. His career as a journalist began in 1957; from 1968 to 1973, however, he was the executive assistant to Communications Minister, the Honorable Eric Kierans and then subsequently became a Director-General in that department. Mr. Gwyn has worked for many media organizations from Time Canada to the Canadian Broadcast Corporation, and has written newspaper columns for the Toronto Star and its affiliated newspapers, including the Kitchener-Waterloo Record. He has also written a number of books.
National Newspaper award (1980; 1985);
Author of the Year, Foundation for the Advancement of Canadian Letters (1982);
National Magazine (with Sandra Gwyn, 1984);
Honorary Degree, University of King's College (1987);
Honorary Doctorate, St. Jerome's University (2007);
Officer of the Order of Canada (2002).
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
The records for Richard Gwyn consists mostly of the Opinion columns he wrote for the Kitchener-Waterloo Record (2001-2007) and other newspaper articles about him, particularly regarding his appointment as Chancellor of St. Jerome's University. There is also a program for a talk he gave at the University of Waterloo Friends of the Library Authors Event in 2004.
- Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication:
- Personal Name(s):
- Gwyn, Richard
- Corporate Name(s):
- St. Jerome's University
- St. Jerome's College records
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original:
- Permission of the Librarian
St. Jerome's University Library
Agency street/mail address
290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.