Gabriel A. Niccoli papers, 1984-2018
- Media Type
- Item Type
Professor Gabriel A. Niccoli joined the faculty of the French and Italian Studies Department at St. Jerome's in 1984. He chaired the department for 17 years. Professor Niccoli studied as an undergraduate the the University of British Columbia and received his Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from there.
While at St. Jerome's he coordinated a tripartite exchange agreement between St. Jerome's University, the University of Waterloo, and the University of Calabria in Italy, co-chaired the "Maggio Artistico" arts festival sponsored by the Italian Cortina Club of Kitchener, and co-organized the 9th International Conference on Restoration and Preservation at the University of Calabria in 2005. In 2011 he was honored by the Italian government to represent it in Canada as Honorary Vice-Consul of Italy.
Professor Niccoli has published extensively on 16th-century Italian and French dramatic theory, women writers of the Italian Renaissance, and Italian-Canadian Immigration. He helped to establish, with the Italian-Canadian community, Bursaries, Scholarships and awards for meritorious and needy university students, he has served on various editorial boards, and has participated in numerous conferences.
Professor Niccoli was awarded the University of Waterloo's Distinguished Teacher Award in 1998, the "Premio della Riconoscenza" from the Provincial Government of Calabria, and the "Solemn Encomium" plaque from the township of Grimaldi in 2004 for his outstanding contributions to the social and cultural growth of Italian-Canadian life in Ontario and for the promotion of academic links between Italian and Canadian universities.
He retired from St. Jerome's in 2018.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
The records for Professor Gabriel Niccoli include a list of his publications (to 2000), some newspaper articles, and a copy of one of his published journal articles (in Italian).
- Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Niccoli, Gabriel A.
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St. Jerome's College records
- Language of Item
- English; Italian
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4696654379657 Longitude: -80.545572434082
- Physical Description
- <1 cm. of textual records
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- Permission of the Librarian
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.