John Sweeney papers, 1991-2001
- Media Type
- Item Type
John Sweeney was appointed Chancellor in 1991, the first lay Chancellor in the history of St. Jerome's University. He served as Chancellor until his death in 2001.
Mr. Sweeney was an educator and a politician. He worked as a teacher and a principal in Toronto from 1952 to 1962. Then he was appointed as the first Provincial Inspector of Schools for Kitchener. In 1968 he became the Director of Education of the Waterloo County Separate School Board. In 1975 he was elected as the Member of Parliament for the riding of Kitchener-Wilmot. During a distinguished 15-year career at Queen's Park, Mr. Sweeney served as the Minister of Community and Social Services, as the Minister of Municipal Affairs, and as the Minister for Housing.
He was a member of the boards of several provincial and community organizations including Habitat for Humanity, St. Mary's Hospital, the Premier's Council on Health, Well-Being, and Social Justice, as well as the Board of Governors of St. Jerome's.
He also had taught at the University of Waterloo's School of Urban Planning, worked with Big Sisters of Kitchener-Waterloo to attempt to establish a home for street kids, and worked with the Kitchener-Waterloo Counselling Service.
In 1992 Mr. Sweeney was given an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Wilfred Laurier University. In 1997 Notre Dame College, the Women's Residence at St. Jerome's was renamed Sweeney Hall in honor of him and his wife, Kay. In 2001 the Chancellor John Sweeney Award for Leadership in Catholic University Education was established and is presented annually at the St. Jerome's Feast for Catholic University Education.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
The records for Mr. Sweeney include newspaper articles and a magazine article on his life and career, an interview, and the program for his funeral Mass.
- Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Sweeney, John
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St. Jerome's College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4692605473639 Longitude: -80.5456582647705
- Physical Description
- 1 cm. of textual records
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Permission of the Librarian
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.