Heber Down Conservation Area
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Colour photograph of 6 people at Heber Down Conservation Area in Brooklin.
- Heber Down Conservation Area is an area bounded by Highway 7, Coronation Road, Baldwin Street and Taunton Road, with access from Lyndebrook Road.
William Heber Down was born on April 23, 1889 on a farm on the base-line near Thornton Road in east Whitby Township. From 1913 to 1941 he farmed in Pickering township (current town of Ajax). From 1942-1972 he farmed along highway 7, west of Baldwin Street. His farm was the site of Canada's first Soil Conservation and Farm Improvement Day in 1949 and the International Plowing Match of 1956. Mr. Down served on the Pickering township council from 1935-1941 and was Deputy Reeve in 1939. He was a councilor in the Whitby Township Council from 1943-1947, was Deputy Reeve from 1948-1950 and 1959-1960 Reeve from 1951-1954, and Reeve in 1961-1962 and 1967. He was a member of the Town of Whitby Council from 1969-1972 and Warden of Ontario County in 1953. Mr. Down died at Oshawa on May 27, 1972 and is buried at Union Cemetery, Oshawa. On his death he donated his farm lands for use as a conservation area. The Heber Down Conservation Area is maintained by the Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority.
This photograph is one of 19 promotional photographs highlighting a variety of Whitby's buildings and spaces, including businesses, Town facilities, and industry.
- Label under photo:
"Heber Down Conservation Area
Coronation Road, Brooklin 416-579-0411
Trailer park, camping, picnics & nature trails"
- Date of Original
Width: 35 cm
Height: 27.5 cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Heber Down Conservation Area
- Local identifier
- Digital Photographs
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.88342 Longitude: -78.93287
- Copyright Statement
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation
- Heber Down Conservation Area, ca. 1983, photographer unknown. Whitby Archives photograph D2016_004_010.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from photograph on hardboard. Originals have been deaccessioned.