Belleville History Alive!
Belleville Iron and Horseshoe Co. Limited
Description
Médias
Image
Type d'élément
Publicity photographs
Description
Extract from brochure “Belleville and Her Industries” produced by the Daily Intelligencer in 1909

"THE BELLEVILLE IRON & HORSE SHOE CO., Limited.
Among the manufacturing industries of Belleville, one of the largest employers of skilled labor, and one of real benefit to the City, is The Belleville Iron & Horseshoe Company, Limited, whose large roiling mills are located at the foot of Wharf Street. The plant was built by the Toronto & Bellevil1e Rolling Mills Company during the year 1899 and was operated by them until 1908, when it was purchased by the present Company. The plant consists of a large brick office building and a series of rolling mills and horse shoe works, comprising nine heating furnaces, four bolt furnaces, three trains of roll and two Copeland spike machines. The factory is fitted with the latest improved machinery and the facilities are the host for producing a high grade of horse shoes, bar iron, ship and railway spikes, track bolts, etc. The plant covers about five acres of ground and is connected with the Grand Trunk Railway by private sidings to all parts of the works. A staff of from 150 to 400 highly skilled and well paid mechanics is
employed and the annual output of the factory averages 12,000 gross tens of rolled iron and steel, 50,000 kegs of spikes and 40,000 kegs of horse shoes. The Belleville iron & Horse Shoe Company, Limited was incorporated in 1908 and has for President Mr. David Yule of Montreal, a gentleman well and favorably known. The Secretary is Mr. D. S. Thornton. The man on whom rests the responsibility for the success of the enterprise, the Vice-President and General Manager, is Mr. P. J. Smith. Mr. Smith is eminently fitted for this important position, having made a thorough study of this business. Before taking charge of the present business he was, for some years, connected with the Montreal Rolling Mills of Montreal. He is a decided acquisition to the manufacturing and business ranks of Belleville."


Éditeur
Daily Intelligencer
Lieu de publication
Belleville, Ontario
Date de l'original
1909
Sujet(s)
Déclaration de droit d'auteur
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contacter
Community Archives of Belleville & Hastings County
Courriel:archives@cabhc.ca
Adresse Internet:
Adresse postale d'agence

254 Pinnacle Street

Belleville ON K8N 3B1

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




Vous n'avez pas de compte? Inscrivez-vous!

thumbnail








Belleville Iron and Horseshoe Co. Limited


Extract from brochure “Belleville and Her Industries” produced by the Daily Intelligencer in 1909

"THE BELLEVILLE IRON & HORSE SHOE CO., Limited.
Among the manufacturing industries of Belleville, one of the largest employers of skilled labor, and one of real benefit to the City, is The Belleville Iron & Horseshoe Company, Limited, whose large roiling mills are located at the foot of Wharf Street. The plant was built by the Toronto & Bellevil1e Rolling Mills Company during the year 1899 and was operated by them until 1908, when it was purchased by the present Company. The plant consists of a large brick office building and a series of rolling mills and horse shoe works, comprising nine heating furnaces, four bolt furnaces, three trains of roll and two Copeland spike machines. The factory is fitted with the latest improved machinery and the facilities are the host for producing a high grade of horse shoes, bar iron, ship and railway spikes, track bolts, etc. The plant covers about five acres of ground and is connected with the Grand Trunk Railway by private sidings to all parts of the works. A staff of from 150 to 400 highly skilled and well paid mechanics is
employed and the annual output of the factory averages 12,000 gross tens of rolled iron and steel, 50,000 kegs of spikes and 40,000 kegs of horse shoes. The Belleville iron & Horse Shoe Company, Limited was incorporated in 1908 and has for President Mr. David Yule of Montreal, a gentleman well and favorably known. The Secretary is Mr. D. S. Thornton. The man on whom rests the responsibility for the success of the enterprise, the Vice-President and General Manager, is Mr. P. J. Smith. Mr. Smith is eminently fitted for this important position, having made a thorough study of this business. Before taking charge of the present business he was, for some years, connected with the Montreal Rolling Mills of Montreal. He is a decided acquisition to the manufacturing and business ranks of Belleville."