A young woman and a little girl sit at the edge of an outdoors stair landing while another woman walks up the stairs in Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Pamphlet illustrations
- A young woman sits leaning against the inside edge of a wooden stair landing, with a thin little toddler in a bonnet and dress, sitting beside her. It is not clear whether they are simply resting or begging. From behind, we see the lower-half of a woman in white stockings and somewhat flimsy white medium high heeled shoes and a dark suit. Neither the photo nor the caption reveals whether the woman had ignored the young mother and her child, or had stopped to speak to them or had assisted them in some way, before heading up the stairs.
For further information on: The fate of Ukraine's rural migrants in the cities, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Luithle, Eduard, ed. Brüder in Not! Lasst Sie nicht verhungern! Bilder aus dem Leben der russlanddeutschen Kolonisten in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. Berlin: Reichsausschuss Brüder in Not, 1934, p.12.
For further details and a full list of original versions and those published through 1939, with captions, see Related Links on right.
- Caption: “Obdachlos und hungernd…im Jahre 1933” [Homeless and starving…in the year 1933]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- [Wienerberger, Alexander]. 1933. “Obdachlos und hungernd…im Jahre 1933.” Brüder in Not! Lasst Sie nicht verhungern! Bilder aus dem Leben der russlanddeutschen Kolonisten in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. Edited by Eduard Luithle. Berlin: Reichsausschuss Brüder in Not, 1934, p.12. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636267/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this pamphlet is unknown. The pamphlet is held by the Mennonite Library and Archives, Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas. Please contact them for any reproduction of the photos or other content beyond personal or research purposes.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Scan courtesy of the Mennonite Library and Archives, Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas.