Two men walk by a store in Kharkiv with liquor bottles displayed in the window
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Pamphlet illustrations
- Two men walk past a series of storefronts. While one of the men looks at the display of liquor bottles to his right, the other directs his attention to the cluster of children standing on the sidewalk just ahead. It appears as if the men have stepped off the pavement to avoid them. The captions to the two published versions of the photo shown here state that liquor was abundantly available - a fact confirmed by numerous sources. Moreover, acquiring liquor did not require ration cards, in contrast to food products.
The men’s clothing identify them as urban residents, as does the dress of the woman behind them. The man barely visible behind her, on the other hand, appears to be barefoot.
The cropped version of the photo from Wienerberger’s memoir Hart auf hart) on the left shows only the liquor store with the two men walking by it.
For further information on: Availability and access to food in urban and industrial areas, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.11.
For related photo, further details, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features at right.
- Caption: “Leeres Lebensmittelgeschäft. In der Auslage nur Schnapsflaschen.” [Empty grocery store. Only liquor bottles are on display.]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “Leeres Lebensmittelgeschäft. In der auslage nur Schnapsflaschen.” Russland wie es wirklich ist! Wien: Vaterländische Front. 1934, p.11. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636343/data
- Location of Original
- Location of original photograph reproduced in this pamphlet is unknown.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Pamphlet cited in NOTES above.