Close-up of a young man, a famine victim on the streets of Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Album covers
- We are shown the upper body of a young man from the countryside lying dead on the sidewalk of a residential neighborhood of Kharkiv. He is surrounded by the feet of onlookers - urban residents, judging by the shoes. According to the photographer, the fact that this sight has elicited considerable attention may mean that the presence of dead or dying people on the streets is still uncommon, at least in this Kharkiv neighborhood.
For another photo of this scene see PD12: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636376/data
For further information on: The fate of Ukraine's rural migrants in the cities, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. Album cover insert.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For related photo, essays, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see menus on right.
- Handwritten title on album: “Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland.” [The tragedy of Famine in southern Russia.]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
Width: 24 cm
Height: 13.8 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10cm
Image Height: 6.8cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. [Album cover photo insert.] Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636350/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.