Young girl lies dead on a wooden stairway near one of Kharkiv’s rivers
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- A young girl wearing a traditional white head scarf lies dead and alone on a set of stairs near one of the rivers that intersect Kharkiv. (Kharkiv historians consider it may be the Lopata River). Wienerberger shows the feet of a man walking past her and another man standing not far away. Although she and a few other people are wearing coats, one can see in the distance that some people are bathing in the river, while some sit on the river’s edge.
For further information on: Homeless children and children as victims, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. p.16.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For essays and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see menus at right.
- Handwritten caption in album: “Auch das Kindesalter blieb nicht verschont.” [Even childhood was not spared.]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10.8cm
Image Height: 7.9cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “Auch das Kindesalter blieb nicht verschont,” in: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . p.16. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636384/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.