Non-Holodomor: Five young boys in Russia show evidence of swelling and starvation, with one boy pointing out the bloated stomach of the boy next to him
- Liberman, Isaiah, 1885 -1921, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Lantern slides
- This photo presents 5 of the children included in the larger group seen in PD823: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636738/data To date, we have not located any authenticated photos from the Holodomor that present a posed, partially or fully unclothed person or group suffering from starvation.
This group photo taken in Buguruslan was one of many documenting famine conditions in the Volga region of Russia in 1921-1922. It was was used in newsletters, pamphlets, postcards, and posters to raise awareness, garner sympathy, and raise funds, particularly in Western Europe, for the massive relief effort that was quickly organized in 1921 to help the starving regions of Russia and later, Ukraine.
The main participants in the international relief effort were the American Relief Administration (ARA) chaired by Herbert Hoover and the International Committee for Russian Relief led by Fridtjof Nansen. The largest and most consequential by far was the ARA. Participants that coordinated with one or the other organization included, among others, the American Friends Service Committee and the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee from the US; and from Europe: the International Save the Children Union, Friends Emergency War Victims Relief Committee, and the International Red Cross.
- Source of lantern slide shown: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA. Digital collection resource:
For further evidence of the 1920s origins of this photograph and a biographical note on the photographer, Isaiah Liberman, please see Related Features at right.
- Title assigned to slide: "Group of Boys suffering from Starvation"
- Date of Original
- Corporate Name(s)
- American Friends Service Committee
- Local identifier
- Select 1920s famine photos from Ukraine and Russia
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 53.6554 Longitude: 52.442
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- "Group of Boys suffering from Starvation" (ID# A0006148), Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, American Friends Service Committee lantern slides of World War I relief work, PA 189; a part of the Quaker Relief in Europe, 1914-1922 Collection: http://triptych.brynmawr.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/SC_Relief
Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636985/data
- Location of Original
- The original lantern slide is located at the Library cited above.
- If you wish to reproduce materials for any other purpose than personal study, please contact Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College for permission at email@example.com
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced, courtesy of the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, firstname.lastname@example.org