Several victims of starvation lay dead or dying on a busy sidewalk in residential Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Three men, most likely from the countryside are seen near the center of the city. One lies dead; a few feet away, a man sits leaning against a picket fence, watching over his companion who lies in apparent distress or near death by his side. Two women are walking in the street in opposite directions. The one nearer the sidewalk is seen looking over at the men. The woman in the foreground, at this point, is looking straight ahead down the street. We can see a visible tear in her shawl, a loose sole on one of her shoes.
A differently cropped version of this photo is published in both editions of Ammende’s Muss Russland Hungern, and is displayed in the Red Album. That version shows an additional woman on the street, heading right, and more background at the top of the photograph which can serve to better identify the location of the photograph. Kharkiv historians state that the edifice behind the fence is the Ozeryansʹkyy Orthodox church in the Kholodna Hora (Cold Mountain) section of Kharkiv.
For further information on: Starving rural migrants and urban residents in Ukraine, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. p.9.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For related photo, essays, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see menus at right.
- Handwritten caption in album: “In allen Stadien des Verhungerns.” [In all stages of starvation.]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10.8cm
Image Height: 7.9cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “In allen Stadien des Verhungerns,” in: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . p.9. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3639388/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.