Crowds of rural residents near the Kharkiv railway station waiting for a chance to take a train. Photo stamped "Forbidden."
- Abbe, James, 1883-1973, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Book illustrations
- See Description for http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636396/data
- Source: James Abbe Archive, No. 1149.
This stamped version was published in: Abbe, James. I Photograph Russia. New York: R. M. McBride, 1934, f.p.53. Other sources also published this photo after this Directory's 1939 cut-off date.
- Caption on back of photo: "Peasants in Kharkov waiting for a train. Abbe was arrested for taking this 'forbidden' picture."
Caption in I Photograph Russia: "FORBIDDEN. I was arrested for taking this railway scene. Starved peasants wait weeklong for trains to some objective they vainly imagine is the Promised Land where they may find enough food to keep alive."
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- James Abbe Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- The James Abbe Archive. https://www.jamesabbe.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Abbe, James. 1932. "Peasants in Kharkov waiting for a train. Abbe was arrested for taking this 'forbidden' picture." James Abbe Archive, No. 1149. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3684747/data
- Location of Original
- The James Abbe Archive. No. 1149. For reproductions from the original, contact https://www.jamesabbe.com/licensing/
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced courtesy of The James Abbe Archive.