Mother sitting on a sidewalk in Kharkiv, feeds her starving children
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- A destitute mother sits against the side of a large institutional building in the city, her children beside her. She holds a metal can with perhaps a bit of food or soup for the toddler at her knee, while a young boy lies curled up next to her. Nearby is an older girl or woman also lying as if asleep. The mother’s coat is ragged and her foot is showing through one of her shoes. We have a partial glimpse of an urban woman passing by at the left edge of the photo.
For further information on: Starving rural migrants and urban residents in Ukraine, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Das Arbeiterparadies. U.d.S.S.R. (also known as the Red Album). Unpublished and undated album in the private collection of Samara Pearce. p.12a.
For further details and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see Related Features at left.
- Handwritten caption on photo: “Mutter mit ihren verhungernden Kindern” [Mother with her starving children]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 23cm
Image Height: 17cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Beyond the Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “Mutter mit ihren verhungernden Kindern.” Das Arbeiterparadies. U.d.S.S.R. (also known as the Red Album). Private collection of Samara Pearce, n.d. p.12a. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636306/data
- Location of Original
- Private collection of Samara Pearce. Please contact Ms. Pearce for reproductions from the original.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce. Source: Private collection of Samara Pearce.