A farm woman, victim of starvation, lies behind a cart near a marketplace in Kharkiv
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Hidden from public view, a woman lies huddled near a cart. Her feet are bound in rags. In the near distance, a very lean horse stands near another cart. In the far distance is a hazy view of a few people and a marketplace. Wienerberger’s caption in the Innitzer Album states that the woman has died of starvation. In his memoir, Hart auf Hart, written several years later, the photo is presented cropped, focusing entirely on the victim in her immediate surroundings. None of the background, including the horse, is visible, and the caption reads that the woman is dying.
For further information on: The fate of Ukraine's rural migrants in the cities, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. p.12.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For related photo, essays, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see menus at right.
- Handwritten caption in album: “Hungerleichen auf dem Markte—" [Bodies of starvation victims at the marketplace--]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10.8cm
Image Height: 7.9cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “Hungerleichen auf dem Markte—" in: em>Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . p.12. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636377/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.