Nikolai Bokan stands beside the grave of his son Konstantin, who died of starvation.
- Bokan, Nikolai, 1881-1942, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The photo features Nikolai Bokan standing next to the grave of his son, Konstantin, who died of starvation. In the few months prior to his death, he had been working on a collective farm where he was overworked and poorly fed. He had left the family home earlier in the spring of 1933. As his parents were struggling to provide for their large family during the famine, Konstantin was leaving the family home to take up work and residence at a collective farm. It is unclear whether he was asked to leave or whether he left of his own accord. Konstantin would have been around twenty-two years old at the time of his departure.
The top of the grave marker displays a photo of Konstantin, his name, the date of his death, and an inscription. The layout of the text and the angle of the hanging axe together may be intended to resemble an Eastern Orthodox cross. A bucket also hangs on the grave marker. Other graves appear to surround Konstantin’s, although within the photo’s frame, his grave is the only one with a marker. A road and buildings are seen in the distance. Barely visible at the bottom of the photo is a handwritten text that says, “Kostia’s grave.”
- [Faded handwritten inscription]
INCLUDE ORIGINAL RUSSIAN TEXT
[Inscription on the grave marker]:
Константин Николаевич Бокань
Скончался 30го Июня 1933 года на поле от непосильного труда в колхозе и недоедания
Konstantin Nikolaevich Bokan
Died on June 30, 1933, in a field from overwork on the collective farm and malnutrition.
- Date of Publication
- Jul 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 8.5cm
Image Height: 11.5cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Konstantin Bokan ; Nikolai Bokan.
- Local identifier
- Nikolai Bokan
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 51.34567 Longitude: 32.87794
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine: https://ssu.gov.ua/ua/pages/98
- Any reproductions of images from the Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine must include the following reference: Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine, fonds 6, case № 75489-fp, volume 2.
Iнформуємо, що при публікації документів ГДА СБУ обов'язкове посилання на місце їх зберігання за зразком: ГДА СБ України, фонд 6, справа 75489-фп, том 2.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of the State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine.