A farmer lies dead of starvation among the shrubs of a house in Kharkiv (Death by starvation series, no. 4)
- Wienerberger, Alexander, 1891-1955, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Photograph albums
- Death by starvation series, no. 4. This is the last in a sequence of 4 photos which Alexander Wienerberger compiled into a brief series to portray how the starving people from the farms and villages ultimately succumb and die after finding no relief in the city of Kharkiv. The photographer states in his memoir Hart auf hart,, that the photos were taken across a period of 6 days, documenting the toll of starvation on the life of one particular farmer.
The farmer depicted in PD18-PD20 lies dead in the shrubbery of the house where he had been observed over several days.
For further information on: The fate of Ukraine's rural migrants in the cities, see "Context Note" under Related Features at right.
- Photo source: Wienerberger, Alexander. Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933; also known as the Innitzer Album, 1934. p.20.
This is one of 25 photographs depicting life and death in and around Kharkiv during the Holodomor that the photographer put together in a small album with a handwritten title: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933 [The Tragedy of Famine in South Russia 1933.] He presented the album to the Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna in 1934 as an expression of appreciation for the Cardinal’s efforts in trying to organize an international campaign to assist the victims of starvation in 1933. The album is housed in the collections of the Diözesanarchiv, Vienna, Austria.
For related photos, essays, and a listing of originals and versions published through 1939 with their captions, see menus at right.
- Handwritten caption in album: “IV., Endlich erlöst.” [IV., At last, released (from torment.)]
- Date of Original
- spring-summer 1933
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10.8cm
Image Height: 7.9cm
- Local identifier
- Alexander Wienerberger: Innitzer album
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.98081 Longitude: 36.25272
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Samara Pearce https://www.samarapearce.com/
- Recommended Citation
- Wienerberger, Alexander. 1933. “IV., Endlich erlöst,” in: Die Hungertragödie in Südrussland 1933. Vienna: Diözesanarchiv der Erzdiözese, . p.20. Retrieved from: http://vitacollections.ca/HREC-holodomorphotodirectory/3636389/data
- Location of Original
- Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria. Please contact this archive for official reproductions.
- Rightsholder requests that the name of the photographer, Alexander Wienerberger, accompany each authentic reproduction of his work.
- Reproduction Notes
- Reproduced with the permission of rightsholder Samara Pearce and the Diözesanarchiv - Bibliothek, Vienna, Austria.