Made in Libertyville
Introduction
In the late 1890s, Libertyville was looking to attract manufacturers to the town.

 

An excerpt from Libertyville Illustrated (1897) touts the benefits of the village as a manufacturing site:

 

“As already suggested, a portion of this land is admirably adapted for manufacturing purposes. To fully understand this, some information as to the shipping facilities of Libertyville must be presented. Libertyville is the terminus of a spur of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad…. The Elgin, Joliet and Eastern railroad, better known as the “Outer Belt Line,” connects with the Libertyville line at Roundout [sic], three miles away, thus providing the village with shipping facilities that are absolutely unsurpassed by any town in the vicinity of Chicago, nor by Chicago itself, for that matter….

 

Cheap fuel is an indispensable adjunct of successful manufacturing, and in this regard Libertyville is exceptionally favored….coal can be secured here as cheaply as in Chicago. When, to this enormous advantage, and that of splendid shipping facilities, is added the natural and acquired advantages of the town as a place of residence it is not too much to predict that Libertyville will soon become a manufacturing center of considerable importance.

 

Along the railroad frontage, away from the residence portion of the village, are many fine manufacturing sites, where sidetracks can be put in and freight received and shipped direct from the buildings. Two factory buildings have already been constructed and are now ready for occupancy. These are handsome brick buildings, 125x150, and 70x125 feet, respectively. The latter, which consists of three stories and a basement is equipped with engines, boilers, elevators, shafting and an electric light plant. It is a model of the latest factory construction….These buildings are of sufficient capacity for a large manufacturing business and are quite ready to receive the machinery of some enterprising concern.”

 

Libertyville’s boosterism worked. By 1898, the Earl Ladder Co. had moved in to one of the factories. In 2014, the Foulds Macaroni Co. occupied the building.

 

Click on the links to the left and enjoy a look at some of the manufacturing companies that have called Libertyville home.

 

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit
Privacy Policy