Sketch of Castleton United Church
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Colborne Chronicle, Thursday, January 11, 2001
Sketch and text by Barry King
"Though the present brick church was dedicated in 1865 after an extensive remodeling, its origins date from 30 years earlier in its original frame structure.
With the elevating of the building, the addition of a basement, new choir loft and brick exterior, a dedication ceremony for the “new” church was required. A special Sabbath service was held on December 3, 1885 during which “three plain practical Methodist sermons” were given. The first was by the Rev. D. Jones at 10:30 a.m., the second by Dr. Nelles at 2:30 p.m. and Dr. Alysworth concluded the day with a sermon beginning at 6:30 p.m. By the end of the day, the remaining $200 of the total $1,600 costs was raised.
Prior to the reconstruction, a Missionary Society had been organized in 1853 with the founders Mrs. J. Pennock, Mrs. G. Weller, Mrs. Jay Nelson Ingersoll, Morgan Sellar, T.H. Black, Henry Blakely, Elisher Alfer, John Jones, Mr. Williams, Philander Williams, Alex Palmer, Carney Burr, Peter Hart, Mr. Watson, Mr. Whiten, Vincent Coleman and F.B. Strong with the Rev. D.C. Clappison as the pastor.
The duties of the caretaker were many: to light, heat and keep the church clean for all occasions. In addition to the $65 annual payment, an extra $1 a week was given whenever extra-special revival meetings were held.
A part of the United Church since 1925, the red brick church continues in its ministry on Percy Road in the Township of Cramahe."
Cramahe Archives does not hold the original item in its archives, but has a digital image.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0