An audio interview with Mary Buchanan (1922-2021), Cramahe Township teacher
- Mary Buchanan interview, Audio (MP3)
- Mary Buchanan, Interviewee
- Mandy Martin, Interviewer
- Trevor Joice, Audio Engineer
- Media Type
- Information provided by Lenna Broatch, November 2021 - "Mary Buchanan grew up in Cramahe Township - her maiden name was Gummer, her mother’s family were Gerows. I believe they lived on Purdy Road. She attended I would think Purdy Public School and Colborne High School and then went to Normal School (Teacher’s College) in Peterborough.
She taught a few years in Brighton Township (Wade's Corner), Cramahe Township (Purdy School). Mary taught Bill Metcalf, a lifelong teacher at Colborne High School. Mary also spent years in Lakeport as principal of Lakeport Public School, and when that closed, she finished her career teaching at Colborne Public School.
She married Ivan Buchanan, who died on a fishing expedition in 1983. Her married years were spent on Church Street West in Colborne.
After Mary’s and Bill Pratt's retirement from teaching, they lived in Bill’s childhood home, east of Castleton. Bill and Mary had a good partnership as they had so much in common, attending Castleton United Church, all church suppers regardless of where they were, and cheering on their former students."
- Interviewed December 10, 2019 by Mandy Martin with information from Lenna Broatch. The interview was first aired as a segment on FM Radio 98.7 Legacy programming series that captures profiles of Northumberland County residents. Permission to upload this audio file was granted to Cramahe Township Digital Archives.
- Date of Original
- December 2019
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0