Mayhew Jewellery Business Sign
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Signs (Notices)
- Clocks & watches
- Round wooden business sign in the shape of a clock, likely representing a pocket watch. Painted decoration both sides of the sign of clock face in roman numerals. One side badly weathered while the other side is in fine condition. This side shows the hands set at 4:50 while damaged side shows hands set at 11:20. Rim painted in gold colour and roman numerals in black against a white background. Stem wind mechanism at top of clock damaged from wear and/or detachment from wall mounted supporting brace. Fine line split both sides through the centre of the sign.
- See the publication - How Firm a Foundation: A History of the Township of Cramahe and the Village of Colborne in Cramahe's Digital Archives (3bk), p.152 and p.156 for a reference to Harry Mayhew's Jewellery store.
See lantern slide (83ls) for a photo of this business sign as it appeared in front of Mayhew's Jewellery store.
Note found in the Colborne Heritage Site catalogue card file: "Sign for Jeweller found in carriage house at 4 North St. Understand Mr. Mayhew was the original one in town. His son?/grandson? stopped by the house 2-3 days after we found it (ironically) and confirmed it was authentic."
Colborne Heritage Site catalogue card: "W0002 Wooden sign - pocket watch 19th jeweller's/watchmaker's sign donated in May, 1997 by Harold Harnden ...."
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.00012 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright, public domain: Cramahe Township Public Library owns the rights to the archival copy of the digital image.
- Cramahe Township Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:6 King Street West
PO Box 190
Colborne, ON K0K 1S0