April 1: Kawartha Lakes Food Source Drive-Thru Food Drive
- Kawartha Lakes Food Source, Artist
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Images, Electronic
- Kawartha Lakes Food Source held a drive-thru food donation drive at four locations in Lindsay on April 1, 2020.
Food banks in the City were already struggling to meet community needs for food and essentials prior to the COVID-19 pandemic with higher client visit numbers in the early months of 2020 compared to 2019 and the influx of calls from the community members struggling to make ends meet with decreased hours and layoffs. The food bank also had to cancel their annual Spring Food Drive.
- While many people filled their cupboards over the last two weeks, those at food banks have been quickly emptying.
Prior to the swift advancement of the COVID-19 pandemic, food banks in the City of Kawartha Lakes had already been struggling to meet the need for food and other essentials within the community. The number of client visits had been higher in the early months of 2020 than the previous year, and over the last two weeks, food banks began to receive an influx of calls from community members struggling to make ends meet due to lost wages from layoffs or decreased hours. To make matters worse, the Kawartha Lakes Food Source has had to postpone its annual spring food drive.
"We need the donations, but the safety of our staff, volunteers, clients, and general community are a priority" says Executive Director, Heather Kirby. "So, we have had to be creative. We have organized a one-day Drive Thru Food Drive across the town of Lindsay."
The Drive Thru Food Drive will take place on Wednesday, April 1st, between 10 AM and 2 PM at 4 different locations in Lindsay:
1. The Kawartha Lakes Food Source Distribution Centre at 41 George St W, Lindsay, ON
2. The Lindsay Community Food Market at 125 Victoria Avenue N, Lindsay, ON
3. Kawartha Lakes Centre of Hope at 104 Lindsay St S, Lindsay, ON
4. The Salvation Army Lindsay at 30 Peel St, Lindsay, ON
Each location will have volunteers and/or signage to guide individuals through the drop off. If you visit to donate food, please be sure to respect social distancing, leaving 2 metres between yourself and anyone else. Cover your face adequately if you sneeze or cough and be sure to touch or handle as little as possible. Additionally, if you are feeling unwell at all, or are considered a vulnerable person, please stay home. We appreciate every community member who shows us support, but the health and safety of the community is paramount. Food banks will still be here when COVID-19 is no longer such a significant threat, and they will still need your help then to get back on their feet.
Items in greatest need now include canned soups and stews, canned vegetables, canned meats, pasta sauce, paste, canned fruits, cereal and personal hygiene and cleaning items. Perishable and financial donations will also be accepted during this Drive Thru Food Drive.
For more information about the Kawartha Lakes Food Source - including updates on local food banks - visit www.kawarthalakesfoodsource.com or like Kawartha Lakes Food Source on Facebook.
- Kawartha Lakes Food Source
- Place of Publication
- Lindsay, ON
- Date of Original
- 26 Mar 2020
- Date Of Event
- 1 Apr 2020
- Personal Name(s)
- Kirby, Heather
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6
(705) 324-9411 extension 1268