Alderville Manual Labour School plaque
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Images, Electronic
- A historical plaque put in place by Ontario Heritage Trust detailing a short history of the Alderville Manual Labour School.
- Ojibwe language available - click the link under OTHER WEBSITES.
- One of several technical training institutions operating in Upper Canada during the first half of the 19th century, the Alderville Manual Labour School was established here by 1839 by Wesleyan Methodist missionaries. The school was designed, as were others of this type, to assimilate Native children into the Euro-Canadian society that was growing rapidly within the province. To that end, it attempted to eradicate the traditional Native way of life, and stressed instead Christianity, the rudiments of an English education, and skills in farming and domestic crafts. Believing that the school proved the effectiveness of the manual labour approach, Egerton Ryerson, Chief Superintendent of Education for Upper Canada, recommended in 1847 that similar facilities be established for Native children throughout the province.
- Date of Publication
- 13 Sep 2021
- Indigenous peoples
Churches - Wesleyan Methodist
Alderville First Nation Reserve
Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada--Ontario--History
Wesleyan Methodist Church--Ontario--History
Canadian Residential Schools
Indigenous peoples--Canada--Archival resources
Indigenous peoples - Education
Alderville First Nation
- Language of Item
- English; Ojibwa
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6
(705) 324-9411 extension 1268