Thurston Album of Dunsford History
page 6 - Dunsford - Blacksmith, Barn and Loading Dock Details
Blacksmithing in Dunsford began with the Bell family and stayed with the family for three generations. Then the job was handed over to Mr. Graham, then Mr. Stacey, Mr. Morrow, and Mr. Karr. Tom Smith ran the blacksmith shop until Hilliard Golloher took it over in 1933.
page 17 - Golloher's old blacksmith shop Details
In October 1935, Golloher purchased the blacksmith shop from James A. Thurston, and continued to use the same shop until 1962 when he constructed a new building adjacent to the old one. The old shop was dismantled in 1962, and at that time it was thought to be at least 100 to 115 years old.
page 20 - Hilliard Gollaher at the forge & anvil Details
In 1934, Hilliard Golloher put on 1825 horseshoes that year. At that time a new shoe cost $0.50.
Wooden wagonwheels were set at $1 per wheel.
page 18 - Hilliard Golloher Shoeing A Pony Details
Hilliard Golloher (1904-1998) shoeing a pony, June 1964.
page 19 - Edna Golloher in park Details
Hilliard's wife, Edna Golloher (1904-1990) in the park across from Thurston's Store (now the Laura Thurston Campbell Park). Note old schoolhouse in background.
page 21 - Setting steel rim on wooden buggy wheel Details
page 15 - Hilliard Golloher (Blacksmith) Details
Hilliard Golloher outside his home (now 1964 Sturgeon Road), between the blacksmith shop and Presbyterian Church.