Memorial Park, Huntsville, Ontario. Swimming and camping facilities at the mouth of the Muskoka River and Fairy Lake at the base of Lookout Mountain.
- Mystery Question
- Can anyone date this picture?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Memorial Park, Huntsville, Ontario. Swimming and camping facilities at the mouth of the Muskoka River and Fairy Lake at the base of Lookout Mountain.
- Charles E. Paget spearheaded a fund raising effort in the spring of 1922 to purchase the property for a new park which opened July 2, 1923, as a memorial to the men who had died in the Great War. In 1923 the council formed a parks commission to look after the park under the chairmanship of Charles E. Paget. In 1924 the parks commission purchased the point at the north of the river with a view to establishing a safe bathing beach and a scenic driveway along the river. In 1925 a road was constructed, a new kitchen was built and campsites were established for motorists. In 1926 a lookout was opened on the mountain. By July 1929 six furnished cabins had been added to the park and the navigation company had erected a new dock.
- Local identifier
- private collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.33341 Longitude: -79.21632
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Huntsville Public LibraryCortney.LeGros@huntsvillelibrary.ca
7 Minerva St. E.
Huntsville, ON P1H 1W4