Journals of Ransom Goring, 1867-1869
- Goring, Ransom (1841-1903?), Author
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Handwritten diaries by Ransom Goring, a grandson of Francis Goring (1755-1842). Ransom chronicles his everyday life as a farmer: tasks, trades, weather (being important topic) but also school meetings, political events, social gatherings, births, marriages and deaths in the closest area: St. Davids, Queenston, Niagara and St. Catharines. His diaries cover period of almost three years, during which time he married Melissa Cushman and had his first child born.
Notebook with over 200 loose, unbound, fragile pages; size: 21cm x 33.3cm
Some pages missing or illegible (covered with crayon/ink drawings or newspaper clippings):
*pages 56-62 (from August 9 to September 30, 1867) are covered over with advertisements]
*missing pages 128 and 129 for period from August 16-August 25, 1868
*2 pages missing- for the first 2 weeks of June 1868
*missing pages for period November 5-26, 1868
* Account pages for Oct-Dec 1867 and Jan-Feb 1868 glued together
- The author's grandfather Francis Goring (born in England in 1755) worked as a clerk in the fur trade in Niagara area where he settled permanently and raised a family. One of his children was Abraham Hamilton Goring (1795-1875) who married Sarah Secord (1805-1875) and had a family including a son – Ransom Goring (born in 1842).
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.10012 Longitude: -79.06627
- Huggins, Jean A. E. (1895-1989)
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:10 Anderson Lane P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0