Studies in Sexuality, Marriage, and Family, 1969-2019
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Video recordings
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
The Studies in Family Life program began at the University of St. Jerome's College in July, 1972. It was sponsored by the Dean's office under the directorship of Rev. Leo Lafreniere, O.M.I. who created the program and had been conducting a similar program at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario since 1968. The program was a 6-week independent summer course, offered to teachers, consultants, principals, professional social workers, and other family life educators as background and training to aid in their developing and conducting community family life programs throughout the province. Successful completion of the course earned 2 university credits which could be applied to an undergraduate or graduate degree.
Father Lafreniere died suddenly in December, 1974. Family Life Studies continued in the summer months at St. Jerome's under the directorship of Dr. Peter Naus, Associate Professor of Psychology at the College. In 1981 participants were offered a certificate upon completion of a group of core courses, intended for those who did not need university credits towards a degree, but who wanted to demonstrate professional training and capability. By 1988 Family Life Studies had developed into an extensive interdisciplinary program and was re-named Studies in Sexuality, Marriage and the Family. As well, the program was redesigned so that it could be offered to undergraduate students as part of their regular course load during fall and winter terms. Sections of the revamped core courses were also offered in the evenings for mature students. Students could now choose Studies in Sexuality, Marriage and the Family as an Honours option, as a Minor, or as a general option program in conjunction with a Major in an undergraduate discipline. A Diploma program was also available for those who wished to do some focused study in the field but who were not seeking a university degree or were already holding one.
Studies in Sexuality, Marriage and the Family was approved as a Major degree program beginning in the academic year 2000/2001.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
This subgroup includes: financial records; correspondence; course materials including course outlines and requirements; schedules; reading lists; tests; lecture notes; personnel and their curricula vitae; discussion groups; newspaper clippings about Fr. Lafreniere and the program; audio cassettes and video tapes; and posters for the annual Symposiums, for the 2015 book launch "Feminist Pedagogy in Higher Education" by Prof. Jane Nicholas, and publicity posters announcing upcoming SMF courses.
Each year contains files for Budget/Finance, Correspondence, Course Materials, and registration statistics (up to the late 1980's; see Notes).
There are also files for the Fall Speaker's Series (begun in 2011), the Annual SMF Research Symposium (begun in 2010) as well as a file for other events sponsored by the department.
- Accruals: Further accruals are expected.
The dates for the records are not inclusive: there are records for 1969-1992 and then very few records for the 1990's and 2000's.
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 2.10 m. of textual records; 227 audio cassettes; 21 video recordings; 28 coloured slides; 2 posters
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- By permission of the Chair of the Department.
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.