Advancement Office, 1879-2019
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Forms (Documents)
- Floppy disks
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY:
The Advancement Office (formerly the Office of Development and Graduate Affairs) is mandated to cultivate positive relationships with graduates and friends of the University in order to ensure that St. Jerome's has a firm base of volunteer and donor support and strong representatives within the community to assist with recruitment and advocacy. The Office also co-ordinates the public relations activities of St. Jerome's University.
The Advancement Office maintains positive relationships with graduates and friends through ongoing communications, by providing volunteer opportunities, and by organizing special events. It also oversees the solicitation and recognition of donors to the University through its Annual Appeal, special campaigns, major gift solicitations and a planned gift program.
Originally named The St. Jerome's Alumni Union, some time during the early 1920's the name of the Union was changed to the Alumni Association of St. Jerome's College and meetings were again held annually. It continued into the 1950's.
Subsequent to the College becoming federated with the University of Waterloo in 1960, and previous to 1982,alumni affairs was administered by the Registrar's Office and there was no development portfolio. In 1982 the Assistant to the Registrar, Rob Donelson, was appointed Director of Alumni Affairs (in conjunction with his duties in the Registrar's Office). A formally established Alumni Association was begun in June, 1984. An Executive Committee was elected to oversee, plan and organize alumni events and projects and to promote the creative participation of St. Jerome's alumni in the life of the college.
In 1986 a Director of Development and College Relations was appointed responsible for raising funds and for public relations. The Director of Development and College Relations was also the Director of Graduate Affairs. In May, 1987, in an effort to be more inclusively representative, the Alumni Association changed its name to the Graduates'Association. In 1991 the Director of Development ceased to be responsible for Graduate Affairs. From 1991 to 1994 Graduate Affairs reverted to the Registrar's Office.
From 1995 to 2009 the Office of Development and Graduate Affairs was administered together staffed by a Director, who reports to the President, and an Executive Assistant. With a new hire in October, 2009 this department is now called the Advancement Office, staffed by the Advancement Officer and her two full-time and one part-time assistants. The Advancement Office is responsible for development, alumni affairs, and communications.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS:
The records of Development and Alumni/Graduate Affairs include the newsletter, Update!; agendas and minutes of the Graduates'Association Executive Committee; correspondence; material relating to the annual Graduates'Association Lecture; Alumni/ Graduates'Reunions; conferences; updated graduate information; student outreach programs; fundraising programs; donation reports; and surveys.
The records are arranged in 17 series:
2. Alumni Union;
3. Graduates'Association Executive Committee;
4. Alumni Affairs Administrative files;
6. Graduates'Association Lecture;
8. Alumni/Graduates'Social Events;
9. St. Jerome's Conference;
11.Graduates'Association Student Outreach;
13.Publicity programs for Alumni and Donors;
14.Alumni Donation reports;
16.Resident Students'Survey (1984);
- Further accruals are expected.
Series descriptions are available.
Older records are in fragile condition.
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 1.6 m. of textual records; 2 VHS video cassettes; 4 audio cassettes; 1 floppy disk; 14 plaques
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.