Board of Governors records, 1897-2019
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Floppy disks
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY:
The Board of Governors is the governing body of St. Jerome's University and is responsible for managing, supervising, and controlling the affairs of the University. It is given all the power necessary to perform its duties and to achieve the objectives of the University. Until 1959 the official name for the Board was the Board of Directors. This Board was comprised of the Superior of St. Jerome's College and his councillors who were all priests of the Congregation of the Resurrection. After 1953 when the college split into two departments, the high school and the college, membership on the Board consisted of the President of the College and his councillors. The name was changed to the Board of Governors under provision of the University of St. Jerome's College Act of 1959.
Under yet a new Act of Incorporation in 1986 the composition of the Board changed to include the President and Vice-President of the University (ex-officio); the Provincial Superior of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Ontario (ex-officio); at least one lay member of the teaching staff holding professorial rank; at least one member each from the School Sisters of Notre Dame, the non-teaching staff of the University, and the graduates of the University; such number of members of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Ontario as to constitute a majority of one of the total membership of the Board; and such other persons who may be determined by by-law, so that the Board consists of at least fifteen members and not more than forty members. Term of office for non-ex officio members was three years.
New by-laws in 2002 again changed the composition of the Board. The Board presently consists of the President and Vice-President of the University; the Provincial Superior of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Ontario; the Chancellor; one full time faculty member holding professorial rank; one staff member; one graduate of the University; the President of the Student Union; the Chaplain; the Episcopal Delegate; and 12 members of the community at large. Term of office remains at three years for non-ex officio members.
The Board meets at least four times a year, one meeting of which is the Annual General Meeting held in May.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS:
This sub-group of Board records includes minutes of the Board meetings (Committee of the Whole), correspondence, reports and other supporting documents as well as minutes and supporting documents for the Board's standing and ad hoc committees. Also included are the records for social events hosted or sponsored by the Board.
The sub-group has five series:
1) Board of Governors Meetings records;
2) Board of Governors Committees;
3) Board of Governors Correspondence records;
4) Government of Ontario Information Returns;
5) Social events.
Descriptions of these series are available.
The records are arranged in chronological order.
- Accruals: Accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 1.32 m. of textual records; 2 computer disks
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- 2-1-2-A17 and A18; 2-1-2-A28; 2-1-2-A46; 2-1-3-B1; 2-1-4-C3 and C4; 2-2-4-C29; 2-2-4-C30
- By permission of the Office of the President.
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.