The Worshipping Community, 1974-2020
- Media Type
- Item Types
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
The Worshipping Community at St. Jerome's University (formerly called the University Catholic Community until September, 2014)) is comprised of university students, staff and faculty as well as members from the community-at-large. The Worshipping Community represents the principal formal pastoral outreach of St. Jerome's University in a ministry intended to address the spiritual, intellectual, personal, liturgical and sacramental needs of its members. As well it strives to provide training and serve as a model for future leadership roles in both the Church and society. As it is presently structured, the administration of the Worshipping Community involves the collaborative efforts of its chaplains, students and permanent members through the work of various committees.
Although originally intended to minister to students, staff and faculty, from the outset The Worshipping Community began to attract members from the community-at-large to its liturgies and personal spiritual counselling. As well many graduates settled locally, married, had families and continued to participate in the liturgical and sacramental life at St. Jerome's. Consequently, The Worshipping Community offers the same diverse services as a canonical parish including marriages, baptisms, reconciliation, Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, Sunday School, retreats, prayer groups, social justice initiatives, special liturgies, sacramental preparation and social events.
Currently the Campus Ministry Team includes a Director, a Coordinator, and a Peer Minister aided by an Advisory Group.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
This sub-group of records for The Worshipping Community include annual reports, committee meetings and activities, weekly bulletins, financial records, informational brochures and a handbook, music and programs for special liturgies, notes from planning sessions, a song book, internal Sunday School reports and one video recording (DVD) of a presentation to the SJU College Council on May 6, 2010 and a CD-Rom of the University Catholic Community Town Hall Meeting of June 19, 2010.
The records are arranged in 12 series as follows:
2) Campus Ministry Annual Reports;
5) Financial records;
6) Brochures and handbooks;
7) Special Liturgies;
8) Planning Sessions;
10) Sunday School;
11) Student Catholic Community;
12) Social events.
- Further accruals are expected.
Note: Also known as Campus Ministry
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 84 cm. of textual records; 1 video recording (DVD)
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- By permission of the Director of Campus Ministry
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmailsjuarchives@uwaterloo.caWWW address
Agency street/mail address290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.