Religious Studies Department, 1966-2018
- Media Type
- Item Types
- ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
Religious Studies began with the establishment of the federated and affiliated colleges, initially St. Jerome's College and Renison College in 1960 and then by St. Paul's College in 1962 and Conrad Grebel College in 1964. The Colleges offered courses in "Religious Knowledge" (subsequently re-designated Religious Studies) as part of their academic programs. By informal agreement among the College Heads, different area emphases were established to cover major portions of the field of Religious Studies.
In 1966, having rejected the option of a four-college Institute of Religion in favour of a Religious Studies Program more directly comparable to other programs in the Faculty of Arts, the College Heads requested the Dean of Arts at the University of Waterloo to act on their joint behalf in establishing Religious Studies with a non-College component making it a shared enterprise of five co-operating agencies, or constituents: St. Jerome's College, Renison College, St. Paul's College, Conrad Grebel College, and the Faculty of Arts. Thus the Religious Studies Group was formed having the responsibility, as a whole, for all curricular matters, designs and changes to the program, designations of academic advisors and other administrative matters. Faculty hirings, salaries, and terminations of appointments were handled by the constituencies separately, although these were cleared through conjoint meetings. The constituencies had appropriate spheres of influence and worked within them in a manner complementary to the other sectors of the Group. Any problems that could not be resolved conjointly by the Group were referred to the Heads of the Colleges and the Dean of Arts, meeting together, for resolution. The Religious Studies Group was headed by a Convenor elected by the Group's full-time faculty members.
In March, 1975 a constitution for the formation of a Religious Studies Department was drafted; its final version, dated November 5, 1975, was approved by the Senate in January, 1976 and by the Board of Governors in February, 1976. Religious Studies became a Department effective May 1, 1976. The Chairman is elected by the department's faculty. Faculty hirings, salaries and terminations of appointments remain as the prerogative of the individual constituents as do their separate spheres of influence. However, in May, 1979 the department adopted an integrated budget which covered funding for all of the constituents as a whole. St. Jerome's has full administrative responsibility for those students registered through St. Jerome's.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS
This subgroup is comprised of records for the Religious Studies Department and includes administrative correspondence, minutes of departmental meetings, financial records, course and program offerings, course outlines, departmental planning reports, and departmental structure records.
The records have been arranged in 8 series:
1) Administrative correspondence;
2) Departmental meetings;
3) Financial records;
4) Graduate programs;
5) Course and program offerings;
6) Course Outlines;
7) Departmental planning and structure;
8) Department Events.
Series descriptions are available.
- Accruals: Accruals are expected.
- Date of Publication
- Corporate Name(s)
- St. Jerome's University
- St.Jerome’s College records
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4694629930038 Longitude: -80.5461678844833
- Physical Description
- 52 cm. of textual records; 32 audio cassettes
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- SJU Archives
- Location of Original
- By permission of the Chair of Religious Studies.
- St. Jerome's University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:290 Westmount Rd. N.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G3
St. Jerome's University is located in Waterloo, Ontario, and is situated in the University of Waterloo. It was founded as St. Jerome's College in 1865 by the Congregation of the Resurrection. In 1959, it was granted university status and changed its name to the University of St. Jerome's College. It has been federated with the University of Waterloo since 1960. In 1998, the name was officially changed to St. Jerome's University.