- Media Type
- Item Types
- The earliest newspaper at Durham was the Durham Standard and County of Grey General Advertiser founded on 19 February 1857 by S.L.M. Luke. (This date applies notwithstanding the earliest issue on this film is marked volume 1, number 26 and is dated 3 June 1859*) This paper was Conservative and Orangeist in outlook. A curious feature noted is the willingness of the proprietor to accept payment in produce such as timber for the subscription dues.
On 7 February 1867 the paper became the Durham Chronicle and Grey County Advertiser with Messrs. White and Johnson succeeding as publishers. It continued as had its predecessor to publish as a weekly throughout its history to this day (1969). The character of the paper politically followed that of the Standard. It was Moderate Conservative, but quite anti-George Brown. There was no great antipathy toward other splinter groups within the main parties, at least in the early history of this paper. The ability of John A. Macdonald to 'adapt to circumstances 1 receives the paper's commendation in an editorial of 21 April 1870, page 2. Hincks and Baldwin hardly meet with the same measure of disapproval that Brown receives.
Throughout this paper's history it underwent various changes of editorship: by 1870 Johnson alone was left. White having gone to the Dunnville Gazette. Shortly after, Arthur Henry Newton Jenkins succeeded, continuing in control until 1887. Thereupon W.J. Mitchell took over until 1896. Mitchell then went to the Clinton News-Record. The following year, William Irwin became editor and proprietor. In 1925 with the death of William Irwin, Frank Irwin continued the paper. Later on William J. Kennedy took over as editor and proprietor and remains so to this day.
Another paper established in Durham was the Grey Review, appearing in 1878 under the ownership of Joseph Townsend, who later on sold to his brother Benjamin. Around 1885 it was a- gain sold to Charles McArthur this time, and in 1894 to Charles Ramage. It remained in the Ramage family's control until it was liquidated in 1942. Under Charles Ramage's control the paper's name was changed to the Durham Review.
For the information contained in this introduction the author is indebted to A History of Grey County, by E.L. Marsh et alia. Owen Sound, 1931, page 349. Further information was obtained from the editorials of two respective newspapers, es-[missing]
The Ontario Archives would like to express its gratitude to Mr. William J. Kennedy, the present proprietor of the Durham Chronicle who has kindly consented to loan the paper's files to this institution for microfilming. It is unfortunate that few of the early issues of the paper appear to have survived a fire the only consecutive run between 1867, year of the paper’s founding and 1896, is for the year 1870* Some issues are charred to a degree. In addition to an early issue of the Durham Chronicle and two issues for the 1960's contributed by the Ontario Archives for this film, the institution has also included a broken run of the Durham Standard from its own collection. The originals remain in the custody of the respective owners. There follows a table of contents of the issues appearing on this film.
10 July 1969
Written by William H. Cooper
- title varies: Durham Chronicle; Durham chronicle and
Grey county advertiser
Supersedes Durham standard and county of Grey general
Absorbed Durham review, 1941 [Gilchrist]
- Date of Original
- 1867-1969 [with gaps]
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.16679 Longitude: -80.81642
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- West Grey Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:453 Garafraxa St S.
PO Box 706
Durham, ON N0G 1R0