Several people playing croquet in front of the residence of Richard Hatch, c.1878
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph of several people playing croquet in front of the residence of Richard Hatch. From left to right are: unidentified, unidentified, Ellen Hatch, unidentified, unidentified, Alice Hatch, Richard Hatch, unidentified, unidentified.
- This frame house at 110 Dundas Street East was built in the 1850s or 1860s on the north side of Dundas Street, east of Brock Street. The home was built for Richard Hatch, a hardware dealer who came to Whitby in 1864. Later, this house was owned by Lyman T. Barclay, lawyer. In 1900, the home was given a brick veneer and from 1932 to 1981 it was the residence of the Town family. Before 1954, this builting was used as a funeral chapel. It was demolished in 1981.
Whitby’s house numbering system was provided by Rev. Dr. James Roy Van Wyck (1877-1941), a retired Presbyterian minister. Van Wyck provided this service to the town, free of charge, during the Great Depression. By the summer of 1935, Whitby had a population of about 4,000 people and a house numbering system was needed. Prior to 1935, residences and businesses were listed in the telephone book with the street on which they were located. As well, there was no need for a house numbering system since all mail was picked up by local residents from the town post office. Under Van Wyck’s system, each block was numbered by a hundred. For instance, the first block south of Dundas on Brock Street was the 100 block; the second, the 200 block, and so on. Buildings on the west side of the street were given even numbers, while buildings on the east side were given odd numbers. On streets running east and west, even numbers were given on the north side while odd numbers were provided on the south. Van Wyck was careful to assign numbers for vacant lots between existing homes. Assigned house and business address numbers were published in the Whitby Gazette and Chronicle and a postcard was mailed to each residence in 1935 with the assigned house number and asking residents to please place this assigned number at their front door. Brooklin was given a house numbering system in the late 1960s or early 1970s, while Ashburn, Myrtle and Myrtle Station received a house numbering system in the 1980s or 1990s.
- Date of Original
Width: 10 cm
Height: 12 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.88342 Longitude: -78.93287
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a copy negative.