Grave of Thomas Marshall, 2010
- Catherine Berthelot, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Digital prints
- Colour photograph of the war grave of Whitby resident Thomas Marshall. The grave is located in the Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery in Calvados, France.
- Thomas Marshall was born at Motherwell, Lankashire, Scotland on 26 December 1912. He married Florence May Hawes (1921-1986) and the two resided in Whitby. They had one son, Douglas (1940-1964), who was born at Whitby in 1940.
Thomas Marshall enlisted as a Private on 9 March 1943 in Toronto and, after some training in Canada, went overseas to participate in the Second World War. He was reported missing in June 1944 and his death was later confirmed as an accident when an Allied Mustang aircraft fired on a prisoner of war marching column of which Thomas was apart.
- Date of Original
- 7 May 2010
Width: 8 px
Height: 10 px
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 49.05 Longitude: -0.33333
- Shirley Stone
- Copyright Statement
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation
- Grave of Thomas Marshall, 2010, Catherine Berthelot, Whitby Archives.
- Reproduction Notes
- Electronic photograph.